Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Trip to Bali, 13 - 16 February 2009

OK this was long overdue. It should have been written like a week ago. Here goes, if I remember it well. Our 1st trip to Bali...

We were suppose to reward ourselves (me and RedOpium) a trip to someplace after me giving birth and confinement. The 1st choice was to KL, a good place where we enjoyed the food and shopping. Then RedOpium stumble upon the Bali brochure and said, "Ma, let's go Bali". My initial reaction - Scared. Why? The bombing of course. It happened twice. But considering that death can occur anywhere and I too want my Bali experience, we went ahead and book our trip at Pricebreaker.

My expectation before we go to Bali was it was going to be beachy, cheap and noisy. And I was right.

Day 1, 13 February 2009

It was 6.25am in the morning at the Changi Airport feeling giddy and sleepy after a late night that I wrote my first entry. I was not as excited as when I first left for Phuket. Maybe it was the baby blues or lack of sleep. But when we took off and finally landed at Ngurah Rai International Airport in Denpasar, Bali, I realise that I was in a different place and people who do not speak our language. The hotel transfer was faster compared to Phuket which took 30 minutes. The roads in Bali were bumpy and narrow and the funny thing is that it goes 2 ways. So I find it a bit disturbing when our van were sharing a narrow road side by side with a bus. Also to top that, these vehicles are going pretty fast.

Upon reaching our hotel at 11am plus, we decided to walk around the area to see what is in store as the check in is at 2pm. The roadside shops were similar to what they have in Phuket, there were also bars and lots of eating outlets. Shops were selling clothesbatik, bags, shoes and accessories. Locals like to travel mostly on motorcycles compared to cars. I saw a Muslim woman and ask her where do I get Halal food and she recommended me a few places. We went to this warong where I ordered ikan Gurame with rice and chicken with rice for RedOpium. Total, together with the drinks and keropok, the meal cost 50,000 rupiah which converts to about $6.50 for 2 person! I cannot get that in Singapore. That's not all, the sambal which was really generous was really power! Til today I still cannot forget that meal that I had which was so simple yet so delicious.

We went back to the hotel which is All Seasons and check in and decided to get some sleep before continuing our shopping adventure. We left the hotel at 7pm and thought that we could do some late night shopping and I was amazed to find some shops were already closed. probably its due to the lack of tourist in that area. After travelling on foot quite long, we decided its time to head back after purchasing snacks for the 24 hour convenience store. Check out the pictures for Day 1...


Changi Airport waiting to take off in Garuda Airways




All Season Legian hotel



Streets of Bali

No comments: