Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Trip to Bali, 13 - 16 February 2009

Day 2, 14 February 2009


I find that people in Bali has a lot of art in them. They loves sculptures and painting. On Day 2, we went on an Ubud True Life Village tour, visiting places where they make batik, silver and painting. The tour took the whole morning and ended with the lunch. We were not really into the tour and the prices that were offered in the stores we quoted in USD which was expensive. But I realise something - the things that we buy in Singapore like say accessories, we will always take these things for granted while people in Bali put in effort to make them from scratch for a minimal wage.


On the way back to the hotel we saw a lot of rice paddy fields along the roadside. I find it amusing because all the while I thought that paddy fields are suppose to be planted on a vast area of land away from the roadside like how they show it in TV. I was totally wrong. So it is good to experience it 1st hand.


We decided to stop at Hard Rock hotel to explore shopping areas and the beach. The area was much more happening that our hotel. RedOpium said if we were to come back here we should stay at Hard Rock. He loves the beach which was 5 minutes away from the hotel. But the beach was not for swimming, more for surfing and there were locals approaching us asking us to buy sunglasses, renting surfboards and messages. We were there to enjoy the breeze as well as the scene. We talked to the locals and find out about surfing and where to shop.


We walked around and saw a kiosk which offers tours and water sports in Bali. RedOpium decided to go snorkeling again and we paid $65 for the both of us. I on the other hand want to go for White Water Rafting which I have been dreaming for a long, long time. And because of the love for my husband I decided to go ahead with his plan. We had foot reflexology for $10 which was cheap compared to Singapore. And the rest of the day we continue our shopping spree...



At the Batik Factory


The Batik Store


Lady making silver from scratch
Painters


Me at the painting gallery


Beautiful rice paddy fields

No comments: